Surgery as a treatment involves the removal cancerous tumor and the tissue around it containing cancer cells; thereby helps contain the spread of the disease. Surgery was the principal method of treating cancer until recently and is still the most common. Surgery may be the best option for breast cancer,head and neck cancers,
and early cancers of the cervix and lung, many skin cancers, soft tissue cancers and gastrointestinal cancers.
Surgery: is basically undertaken to remove the tumor mass in various parts of the body. It can be carried out by open surgery laparoscopic surgery or beam radiation.
Advanced Cancer Surgery And Therapeutic Services
Surgery is the main stay in solid organ cancers. Department of Surgical Oncology at Lokmanya Cancer Centre has a team of highly skilled surgeons with extensive experience in delivering the best possible outcomes and maximizes the chances of cure in a variety of cancers.
- Curative Surgery : It involves removal of localized tumors that have not metastasized. It is often undertaken in conjunction with radiation and chemotherapy.
- Preventive Surgery : It involves removal of a tissue (precancerous lesions) that might lead to cancer. Surgery is an effective way of reducing risk.
- Reconstructive Surgery : This type of the surgery returns the body to normal or near-normal appearance following cancer treatment. The most common restorative surgery is reconstruction of a breast after a mastectomy. Other common reconstructive procedures are facial reconstruction and testicular implants
- Minimally invasive surgery is an effective approach to removing some cancerous tumors and lymph nodes--all the while sparing the patient from unnecessary tissue damage, pain, and scarring.
Lokmanya is the new home to surgical oncologists who perform advanced Cancer Surgery, Outpatient Day Care laparoscopic surgery, Lumpectomy/mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. Who use innovative minimally invasive techniques to diagnose and treatment of tumors and improved palliation for many types of cancer--including gastrointestinal, lung, and prostate cancers. Our surgeons are also using minimally invasive techniques to collect tissue for biopsy and to perform accurate "staging" studies to determine the best cancer treatment plan.
|Surgery Advantages||Surgery Disadvantages|
Surgical oncology Services Provided at Lokmanya
- Appendix Surgery
- Auto fluorescence Bronchoscopy
- Autologous Fat Grafting
- Bowel Resection
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy
- Laparoscopic Radical Nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Lymphedema Surgery
- Oncoplastic And Reconstructive Surgery
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
- Spy Elite
- Tracheoesophageal Puncture
- Video-Assisted Thoracic Surgery - Vats
- Wedge Resection