Ayurveda, Yoga Unani Siddha & Homeopathy (AYUSH) Intervention For Cancer
With the advancement of cancer treatment more and more patients become cancer survivors. These patients want to explore techniques or practices that will promote health, prevent diseases and enhance a sense of well being. Further the newly diagnosed cancer patients are undergoing much distress and anxiety. They want to explore all kinds of treatment options available for cancer treatment. They receive counseling on the nature of cancer and cancer treatment, realistic expectations and how to protect themselves from bogus alternative therapies.
Depending on the type of the disease, modern treatments are used alone or in combination, to either control cancer cell growth or to eliminate the disease entirely. The treatment choices depend on the stage of the tumor. Traditional or conventional treatment options may include surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, and immunotherapy. These therapies have all been tested in clinical trials and proven to be acceptable, safe and effective,
although with often unpleasant side effects. But the journey with cancer is a long, stressful and strenuous one. The treatment procedure itself may be detrimental to the emotional well-being of the patient.
This is where Integrated Medicine (Ayurveda, Yoga Unani Siddha & Homeopathy (AYUSH)) have stepped in to offer holistic treatment. Integrative medicine also referred to as complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)--includes a broad range of healing philosophies, approaches and therapies. These therapies are used in an effort to prevent illness, reduce stress, prevent or reduce side effects and symptoms, and control or cure disease. Various surveys show that interest in Complementary and alternative medicine is high among cancer patients For cancer patients undergoing treatment, the integrated AYUSH treatment mainly focuses on; to help in the reduction of symptoms, including pain, depression,
fatigue and anxiety or patients who have end stage disease. In order to provide appropriate guidance on use of Integrated Medicine -AYUSH therapy from the health care professionals, to incorporate AYUSH therapies into cancer treatment management and to address patient’s interest in AYUSH medicine to improve the quality of life of cancer patients.
A centre of excellence, Lokmanya Holistic Cancer Centre will integrate comprehensive clinical care, research, education, psychosocial, wellness and volunteer programs creating opportunities for innovative discoveries, compassionate holistic care and better outcomes for patients. This will be achieved through the development of a coordinated, multidisciplinary team of highly talented and motivated people working in clinical care, research, education and psycho-oncology.
Ayurveda, the ancient medical science of India, is accepted as the oldest scientific medical system, with a long record of clinical experience Ayurveda is the holistic healing science of India, based on tridoshas : Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Ayurveda is a way of life and the objective of Ayurvedic treatments is restoration of health and prevention of illness. During Ayurvedic consultation, the physician examines the root cause of the ailment and prescribes treatments that are either Sodhana therapy for cleansing of metabolic wastes, Samana therapy for therapeutic benefits Brahmana therapy for body rejuvenation. Yoga also has a vital role in Ayurveda. Panchakarma is a five fold detoxification procedure consisting of Vamana, Virechana, Vasti, Nasyam and Raktamokshanam. Ayurveda has treatments for various diseases including Cancer, degenerative ailments, stress, depression, obesity, spondylosis, back pain, skin diseases etc. Ayurveda is a natural healing science with herbal remedies
- Ayurveda Medicine Can be used for Prevention of Cancer : Ayurvedic Medicine which can be used for prevention of Cancer are – Kustha, Aragwadha, Gorochan, Bhallatak (Anacardium), Garlic, Rakta Rohitak, Sariva, Manjishta, Kasturi, Varuna, Nimba etc. These above medicine either can be used in powdered form or kwath form.
- Ayurveda Medicines used for cure of Cancer : for the cure of Cancer, if patients immunity is good , please can walk upstairs, can sit for long time, in such patients we provide “Sanshodhan” Chikitsa, like Vaman, Virechan & Basti for the same purpose. “Madanphal, Neemachal Choorna, Haritari, Nishotha, Amaltas, Sanaya, ----, Sunthi, Kutki, Musta etc can be used. For the “Samshaman” of disease Kustha, Giloya, Punarnava, Sariva, Manjistha, Chopchini,Pushkarmoola, Chandan, Madhuyasti, Tulasi, Bibhitaki, Haritaki, Chirayatha, Alivisha etc. can be used in the form of Kwatha, Choornam etc. Along with the above herbs, Hirak Bhasma, Raikrant Bhasma, Swarnbhasma, Pukharaj Pishti, Panna Pishti, Abhrak Bhasma, Manikya Bhasma, Kasturi, Amber, Tal sindoor, Rasmanikya, can be used according to the condition of patient Vyadhi Bala etc.
- Remove side effect of Chemotherapy Radiotherapy : During Radiotherapy or Chemotherapy patient suffers with symptoms like ----,vomiting, less of immunity, hair loss, weakness etc. In those symptoms Rasayan Aushadhi is very effective like- Guduchi, Haritaki, Vibhitak, Amalaki, Nimba chirayata, Tulasi, Rakta Rohitak, Kumari Sariva, Manjistha etc.
- Prevention of Recurrence of Cancer : To Prevent theRecurrence of Cancer following Drugs can be used ; Tulsi, Chirayala, Rakta Rohitak, Aswattha, Gular, Guduchi, Dhamasa, Shobhanjan for at least 6 months 1 year. This helps to keep the disease away and thus prevents recurrence of disease.
- To Avoid Blood Transfusion : In Cancer disease, there is quick loss of Hemoglobin. It increase Hemoglobin Lauha Bhasma, Abhrak Bhasma, Heerak Bhasma, Siddhamakardhwaj etc can be used.
- To Remove Cancer Pain : Cancer suffer a lot of pain to relieve this pain LathakKaryabeg, Neema, Somanathitamra, Taramandun, Shobhanjan gond can be used
Ayurvedic treatment and procedural facilities are offered at Ayurvedic clinic
- Thorough consultation and Regular follow up by the expert Ayurvedic physician.
- Ayurvedic Rasayana therapies
- Ayurvedic medicine store
- Panel discussion by the team of cancer expert & Ayurvedic physician for quality services for cancer patients
Yoga Therapy Center
Under the guidance of internationally acknowledged Yogaacharya Dr. Mukund Bhole and Certified Yoga therapists and experienced volunteers who are highly sensitive to patient and family needs. This center provide a range of culturally-informed integrative oncology therapies, which include: “YOGA For Wellness And Quality Life” & Laughter Yoga.
Identifies the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of cancer patients and their families and helping them to empower patients through therapeutic yoga, mind-body Sessions and educational wellness workshops “STRENGTH THROUGH YOGA Workshop” were Patients gather for Yoga , friendship and support. It is a place where hope is kept alive, sadness is shared and through Yoga and laughter Yoga provides a constant escape.
What is Yoga Therapy?
Yoga therapy is the personalized application of yoga techniques to fit the current needs and interests of the individual. It is an integrated mind-body approach for restoring balance and adaptive functioning to the physical (musculoskeletal), physiological (digestion, respiration, cardiovascular, endocrine, and immune), and mental/emotional systems.
Who is Yoga Therapy suitable for?
Yoga Therapy may be used to :
- Reduce Symptoms Of Illness Or Injury
- Establish More Functional Breath And Movement Patterns
- Reduce Physical And Mental Suffering
- Improve Quality Of Life
- Enhance positive coping strategies.
YOGA Programme for Those Affected by Cancer
This unique program uses evidence-based therapeutic yoga science and includes session on understanding the concept of Yoga, breathing techniques, Pranayam, meditation, Yoga nidra, OM chanting, and postures. During the 3 months program, we will support you to integrate our approach into your daily life. Previous participants have reported having vastly changed attitudes that have transformed their lives.
This is a 3 months Non- residential program designed for those affected by any type of cancer at any stage of recovery or who have undergone conventional Cancer Treatment of Surgery, chemotherapy and /or radiation treatment and those caring for a family member or friends, who safely meet the following criteria :
- You are reasonably mobile and can move independently
- Your needs can be addressed in a group setting
- All surgical incisions are healed and medically fit for yoga
Why Attend This Program?
Whether you are a long time cancer survivor or currently in treatment, this yoga class focuses on making you feel more grounded and comfortable in your changing or changed body, through the use of postures that safely stretch, strengthen, and relax the body. Our program will restore your body and mind from the side effects of treatments. You will undergo medical examination and series of psychological tests at the start and end of the program to understand your condition and contraindication and addressed properly.
A small class size ensures plenty of personal attention and guidance on suitable variations. We provide one-on-one yogic counselling to adjust mental-emotional patterns that may have contributed to your illness, and we each techniques to foster deep, lasting transformation. At the core of the education program is the understanding of visceral experiences that yoga opens to your body, emotions and mind. We also raise awareness of carcinogenic factors in your life and how to avoid them.
Benefits of our Yoga for Those Affected by Cancer class :
- Decreased stress and pain, and increased well-being
- Improved quality and quantity of sleep
- Restored strength and range of motion, improved lymphatic flow
- Enhanced energy, digestion, joint health, circulation, respiration, and endocrine function
- Camaraderie with other (wonderful) yogi-survivors
- Soothe anxiety, increased sense of groundedness
- Be more comfortable in your body, mind, and spirit when you have been diagnosed with cancer
Please note -- it is crucial that we are aware of your health history in advance of your first yoga class in order to maintain a safe and positive environment for all. Unfortunately there can be no exceptions.
“Nature cure is so simple, easy and cheap, …. this system of treatment should be used”. – Mahatma Gandhi
Naturopathy originated in the late 19th century. Naturopathy`s overarching goal is to enlist the natural healing power of the body to fight disease. Naturopathy, also called nature care, prescribes the `return to nature` formula to all physical ills. Nature care is primarily based on three principles: that the body possesses the power to heal itself through its internal vitality and intelligence; that disease is a manifestation of vital force applying itself to the removal of obstructions to the normal functioning of organs and tissues; that naturopathic cures should take a holistic approach to health.
By integrating these principles, naturopathy seeks to stimulate the body`s inherent power to regain health with the help of the five natural elements—earth, air, fire, ether and water. Similar to the `five elements` theory or the Panchabhuta theory of ayurveda, naturopathy also works upon the ideal integration of these elements within the individual. Nature care presents a strong stance against the chemical prevention of diseases and advocates the play of inherent natural defense mechanisms, which are self-curative and self-preventive.
Naturopathic doctors (NDs) diagnose illness with many of the same methods used in mainstream medicine. They use x-rays, lab tests, and physical exams to make diagnoses, just as do mainstream doctors. Patients going to a naturopath are treated in three stages.
- First, the diagnosis of their condition is made without using invasive techniques such as biopsies because they run counter to the naturopathic stance against surgery and use of drugs.
- Secondly, the patient is put on a detoxification regime that includes colon irrigation (to cleanse the colon), fasting, massage (to cleanse the skin), deep breathing (to clean the lungs), baths and exercises.
- The third step involves a corrective regime that includes a new diet with vitamin supplements, body manipulation, herbal compounds or acupuncture. Since it considers the body to be a self-healing organism, naturopathy assumes that given the right environment and the opportunity, the individual shall enjoy spontaneous repair, recovery and good health—thus avoiding ill health altogether.
Naturopathic medicine treats almost all illnesses: from self-limiting and minor conditions to major diseases such as cancer. They strive to treat the whole person, including their lifestyles, environment, and other factors that affect their well being.
Homeopathy For Cancer
Homeopathy is also a branch of alternative system of Medicine. It is regarded as a science which cures a disease rather than merely suppressing its symptoms. It uses only natural substances in minute doses, improves the body’s resistance, ensures long term benefits, no complicated procedures for taking the medicines no bitter pills or painful injection etc. New researches are going even in the field of cancer.
Homoeopathy does not consider only disease but diseased individual. A homoeopathic remedy, prescribed as per principles treats the person as a whole along with the pathology & relieves the inner core from sufferings, thereby making the patient healthy. Since it restores the harmony at all levels and functions of the body it also acts as a RESTORATIVE & PREVENTIVE medicine.
Hence our approach towards treatment of malignancy is –
- Treatment of existing symptoms / signs
- Treatment of general constitution
- Arrest of further progress & complications
- Recovery ( within limitations )
- Maintenance of general condition
- Increase coping and adaptability
This is also supported by timely necessary investigations. Performance is assessed as per standard scoring systems & international norms. This makes our work standardized & scientific.
For the treatment of different stages of cancer :
Precancerous : To work preventively, you treat according to the method of classical homoeopathy of Kent or according to the Split method. However, think of the Nosode too, so that the constitutional medicine may act better.
Stage I-II : The Plussing method is recommended here, as long as the tumors is not older than three or four weeks. You give the constitutional/tumors/organ-specific remedy during the first week, and in the second week the Nosode. Regular blood tests and examinations must be carried out to make remedy changes on time. The tumor has to be brought under control as soon as possible.
Small nodes : Always get them surgically removed if possible. Immediately do surgery if affected lymph nodes are present and give further treatment homeopathically for at least four years.
Stage III-IV : The primary lesions are inoperable, organs and lymph nodes are affected. Here chemotherapy and radiotherapy become necessary with simultaneous homoeopathic treatment, in order to minimize the side effects of the conventional treatment and to support the dynamic strength of the patient. This way the immune system is also supported.