Safe Life Initiative On Road Safety
Pune roads are one of the unsafe in Maharashtra, India and it witnesses maximum number of accidents on the road. There are state of the art fly over, one-way roads, yet the 2 wheeler drivers & pedestrians account for the maximum number of causalities on Pune roads. The goal of the project is to reduce morbidity and mortality due to accidents.
- To increase the awareness level of road users especially college going young boys and girls on road safety.
- To create a cadre of Road Safety trained rickshaw drivers/ambulance driver to facilitate careful transportation of road accident victims
- To establish UPS supported Lokmanya Safe Life Initiative
Stake Holders & Opinion Leaders Workshop
Life Initiative on Road Safety was launched on 9th October 2010 in YASHDA Pune
Shri. Kisan Sakhare Maharaj ,Sr. Scientist Dr Vijay Bhatkar Joint Commissioner Ashok Dhiware; Advocate Shrish Iyer, Member Pune Bar Council; Manoj Patil, DCP (Traffic), Chandrakant Kharatmal RTO Pune; Mr. Satish Patil, Sr. Manager UPS Representative; Mr. Abhijeet .K Chattoraj National Insurance Academy; Mr. Sanjay Mohalkar, Sr. Vice-President Bajaj Allianze and other dignitaries of Lokmanya Medical Foundation Dr. V.G.Vaidya, Managing Trustee, Dr. P.V. Bhathlawande, Director; Dr. Suchitra Mankar Medical Director.
The outcome impact shows Government of Maharashtra had taken note of road safety issues in the state of Maharashtra and called a high level meeting under the chairmanship of Hon. Shri R.R. Patil, Minister for Home Affairs and Hon. Shri. Ramesh Baghve State Minister of Home affairs; attended by all the departmental heads of Police, Traffic Police, Transport, Health and Lokmanya Medical foundation.
IEC Development On Road Safety
The purpose of the workshop is to develop training module and develop IEC to enable environment and increase awareness level on road safety for road users and first responders like college going young boys and girls rickshaw drivers/ambulance driver Development of Exhibition Posters : Road Side Display ,Exhibition at Academic Institution & Exhibition
Marathi - Surakshit Pravas ‘Safe Driving’
A new book in Marathi called “Surakshit Pravas apalyach hathi” on road safety authored by Dr. Prakash Bhatlawande, Director, LMRC Pune was released by Hon. Shri. R.R. Patil, Home Minister, Government of Maharashtra and Hon. Shri. Satej Patil, State Minister for Home affairs in presence of Traffic Commissioner; Shri. Arup Patnik, Chief Secretary for home Ministry , Commissioner of Police, Regional Transport officer, Pune Region and other dignitaries from Police, Traffic, road Safety Cell and RSP Students
BLS Training For College Students
Every day over 1000 young people under the age of 25 years are killed in road traffic accident around the world. Globally Road traffic injuries are the second leading cause of death and disability amongst 15-19 year old and 20-24 age group and while for those in the 10-14 years.
Total No of Youths Sensitized on Road Safety and BLS : 2100
Topic Covered Under Safe Life Initiative on Road Safety for First Responders
- Magnitude of Road Traffic Accident and Road Safety
- Anatomy and function of Human Body
- Pre Assessment of Accident Victims Type of injuries and environment
- Spinal injuries, Traumatic Injuries, Fracture, Wounds and Bleeding
- Nervous system: Spinal cord and nerves, Unconsciousness and Head injury
- Basic Principles of First Aid and Fundamentals of Nursing
- Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- a. Airway
- b. Breathing – Artificial Respiration / Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- c. Circulation
- d. Dysfunction
- e. Environmental Status
- Structural Control: Use of cervical collars, Bandages and Splints, Patient Lifting, Transportation
- Extrication of Patients: Proper Extrication of victim without any more complication is very important.
First Responders Training For New License Applicant
First responder Training Programme for new license applicant was inaugurated on 1st January 2011 at the hands of Shri. Nandkumar Saturdekar , President Sharmik Patrakar Sangh Pimpri Chinchwad in presence of Mr. Jitendra Patil Dy-RTO, Pimpri Chinchwad, Mr. Harishchandra Gadsingh, Asst. RTO, Pimpri Chinchwad, Dr. Shrikrishna Joshi , EMS coordinator , Dr. Jayawant Shrikhande , EMS Coordinator, President of Transport Association other dignitaries and participants.
Lokmanya organised the first responders training programme during this period at the Basement of Dy-Regional Transport Office, Pimpri - Chinchwad, Chikhali, Pune. 2100 youths were trained in First responders training.
First Responders Training Was Imparted To The Participating Drivers
Pre-hospital care includes the care provided at the scene of an injury or acute condition until the patient arrives at a facility that can treat the condition. The most effective strategies are basic and inexpensive and usually do not require high-technology equipment or vehicles.
Total No of School Bus Drivers Trained in BLS and Defensive Driving: 285
First Responders Training Programme on Basic Life Support for Ambulance Drivers
58 Ambulance Drivers in First Aid, Rescue Techniques and safe transportation.
First Responders Training Programme for Rickshaw Drivers
Rickshaw drivers are unaware about road safety and basic life support education. This has prompted us to take this activity for creating awareness and basic training to these drivers in First Aid & Accident victim transportation. The objective was to create a cadre of Basic Life Support trained rickshaw drivers to facilitate careful transportation of road accident victims.
Teachers Training Workshop
Teachers Training Workshop on Road Safety Programme was conducted in collaboration with PCMC educational department, school authorities PCMC Madyamik Vidyalaya , Sant Tukaram Nagar ,Pimpri , Pune Ursula. In total 27 school representative ( Principal & Teachers ) were trainined in various teachers training program representative for the workshop.
Road Safety Awareness Amongst School Childrens
With an objective to increase the road safety awareness amongst young road users especially school going student. In order to sensitize the school children and public in general Various Road Safety Awareness programme for this vulnerable group was conducted in schools and road safety awareness rally was taken out in Pimpri Chinchwad.
35 schools participated in the program covering 4692 school children.
Workplace Road Safety:Make Road Safety A Corporate Concern
PRAISE: Preventing Road Accidents and Injuries for the Safety of Employees
Workplace road safety policies and procedures are essential for providing a safe workplace in the organization. “GUIDELINES ON WORKPLACE ROAD SAFETY” is been formulated by Lokmanya for private and public sector organizations of all sizes to assist them with the development of their own workplace road safety policies procedures and programs under CSR activities. Booklet release at MCCIA
To mark the occasion of International Labour Day and World Occupational Health & Safety Day, Lokmanya Medical Foundation in association with Maratha Chamber of Commerce Industries and Agriculture, Bhosari had organized a sensitization programme on work place road safety themed “Making Road Safety a Corporate Concern” under the Lokmanya Safe Life Initiative on Road Safety on Wednesday 30th April, 2014; at Navalmal Firodia, Seminar Hall, MCCIA Bhosari, Pune .
Shridhar.P. Joshi, Consultant Advisor TATA Motors delivered the Key Note address on “Good Practices in work place road safety – TATA Motors”.
Walk Right Campaign For Senior Citizen
On the occasion of World Health Day Lokmanya Medical Foundation in association with PCMC Sr. Citizens Mahasangh had organizing Road Safety Awareness programme on “Road Safety for Sr. Citizens” under the Lokmanya Safe Life Initiative on Road Safety on 5th April 2014 (Saturday) at Acharya Atre Sabhagruha, Sant Tukaramnagar, Pimpri; with an objective to address Road Safety Issues of Sr. Citizens and the Risks to Elderly People and recommend measures to enhance the safety of these road users.
The programme was inaugurated at the august hands of Shri. Jeetendra Patil, Regional Transport Officer Chief Guest by lamp lighting presence of Dr. V.G.Vaidya Managing Trustee LMF, Dr. S.M. Karandikar Sr. Gerontologist Shri. Ratanchand Mehta, President, Shri. Suryakant Muthiyan, General Secrectary, Mr. Marutrao More Executive President Sr. Citizens Mahasangh PCMC, Dr. Prakash Bhatlawande, Director LMRC, Prof. M.D. Patil CEO, Mr. Shrinivas Pattar Dy- Director, LMRC and other dignitaries. The programme was sponsored by UPS India Ltd, Mumbai. Lokmanya presenting florescent umbrella to Senior citizen
Research papers presented and published
- “Multi centric Road traffic Injury Surveillance: World Health Organization (WHO) - ICMR project” conducted by B.J Medical College in collaboration with Lokmanya in Pune District 2006-2007 followed by other factors.
- Assessing Emergency and Trauma Care needs and to identify and quantify risk zones resulting from road accidents, adventure sports, tourism, pilgrims and natural disasters for the State of Uttarakhand in Collaboration with Uttarakhand Health Systems Development Project (UAHSDP) was conducted in 2010-11
- Conducted Emergency Medical Conference (EMCON) in the year 2003 at Pune where all international and national delegates and faculties had participated.
- Conducted National Trauma Management Course (NTMC) at CIRT Pune in 2003 with Academy of Traumatology India and the faculty members are from South Africa.
- Presented paper on “Pre Hospital Trauma Management – Lokmanya Pune Module” at Conference on Road Traffic Injury, Research Network organised by IPHA / WHO / Global Forum for Health Research, Geneva at Mumbai – 2005 by Dr Narendra Vaidya , Director , Lokmanya EMS
- Participated in Road Safety NGO Workshop – June 2005 organized by Global Road Safety Partnership / WHO / Standard Chartered
- Presented “Pre Hospital Trauma Management - Lokmanya Pune Model” at Road Safety NGO Workshop organised by CIRT, Bhosari, Pune
- Attended International Conference on Traumatology, San-Diego, USA – 2001 by Dr Narendra Vaidya , Director , Lokmanya EMS
- Paper Present on “Polytrauma” at Pune Critical Care Society, Pune – 2000 National Safety council, Mumbai (NSC) has recognized Lokmanya as National Awareness and Preparedness for emergencies at local level (NAC- Sub Center).
- Lokmanya Medical Foundation was awarded with ‘ National Mahindra Navistar Transportation Excellence Awards 2011’
- Shri. Rajiv Gandhi “Rastriya Ratan Puraskar” was awarded to Dr. N.V.Vaidya for the contributions made in the field of Emergency Medical Services”